Had a bunch of super-ripe red peppers the other week; nearly on the turn. Turned them into a cold soup, and what a super taste sensation! Delish.
Can be vegetarian/vegan-ified by using veggie stock instead of chicken.
⦁ 1.5 large or two med-small red onions, diced
⦁ 6-8 cloves of garlic
⦁ 2-3 ripe or over-ripe sweet red peppers
⦁ 4 ripe tomatoes
⦁ 1 slice of white sourdough bread
⦁ 2 red chillies, diced
⦁ 2 habanero chillies, diced
⦁ 1 birds eye chilli (optional)
⦁ 400mL chicken or vegetable stock
⦁ 6 tbsp olive oil
⦁ 4 tbsp white wine vinegar
⦁ 2 tsp tabasco or other similar vinegar-based chilli sauce
⦁ 2 pinch sugar (optional)
⦁ 1 cucumber, finely diced
⦁ salt & pepper
- Whizz all ingredients together except the cucumber in a blender or in a high-sided pot with a stick blender. The consistency should still have some texture, so don’t make it super smooth.
- Whizz in 1/3 of the cucumber, reserving the remaining.
- Add the remaining cucumber, stir through.
- Serve in small bowls, cups or glasses.
- Garnish with a few pine nuts.