…or what I like to call “leftover mishmash”
⦁ oil for frying + some butter
⦁ bacon (optional)
⦁ a couple escallion shallots, diced
⦁ garlic – a few fat cloves (3-4), plus a few more, diced
⦁ leftover steamed cabbage, shredded (~1/4-1/2 head)
⦁ a few glugs dry white wine
⦁ short pasta, of a textually interesting variety, cooked & drained – I used a combination of regular & wholewheat fusilli + some amori just for fun
⦁ zest of 1 small lemon
⦁ double cream, a few glugs or 2tbsp creme fraiche
⦁ salt & pepper
- Chop bacon & fry in oil & butter. (Skip this step if not using bacon or butter).
- Fry shallots in oil (+butter) – or add to bacon from step 1 above.
- Add garlic & fry a few minutes.
- add cabbage & stir through.
- Add wine & lemon zest. Season.
- Turn down heat. Add pasta & cream & stir through. Ensure entire mixture is heated through.
- Season again if needed.
I just made this with some of the surplus cabbage from this week and it was super tasty! Quick and easy too. I used rigatoni and substituted Vermouth Bianco for the white wine, which worked well.