- potatoes – can be large, small or new; use whatever you have to hand – about the equivalent of 2 large. If using larger potatoes, cube them; if using new, leave whole or half
- cabbage – about half a head, thinly chopped or shredded
- 6 rashers streaky bacon, cut into small strips
- ½ a large onion, chopped
- butter – amount will vary according to taste, but about 25g
- salt & pepper
- Boil potatoes until tender, usually ~20 minutes.
- While the potatoes are simmering, in another pot, blanche the cabbage (~2-3 mins) in another pot. Drain.
- In a frying pan, fry the bacon for 4-5 minutes. Add the onion & cabbage. Fry until onions crispy transparent.
- Drain potatoes, add back to pot, add butter, salt & pepper, and smash them around a bit in the pot. They should break apart a bit and get rough, fluffy edges to absorb the butter.
- Add bacon, cabbage & onion mixture to potatoes & stir through. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve on a warm plate with a poached egg on top.
*eggs can be poached directly into a pot of boiling water (~3 mins), or in a poacher, if preferred.
You can also leave the bacon out of this recipe to make it vegetarian.